Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer, is just 2 weeks away. We’re all going to be showing a lot more skin so here is my 2 Week Memorial Day Weight Loss Plan guaranteed to make you slimmer and tighter before the big day. Most of us have been concentrating on cleaning up the patio furniture and barbecues but we need to also concentrate on cleaning up our nutrition and exercise routine.
So forget about buying the hot dogs and beer and let’s get focused on us. We have only 2 weeks to get these over fifty bodies looking better so right now is the time to step up your game. So buckle your seat belts, step on the accelerator and let’s get going!
follow along with me...
LETS TALK ABOUT FOOD
I didn’t say this was going to be easy, but it’s not going to be hard either. When you really want to get in shape fast there are some fundamental rules that are universal and musts. The bottom line is you’ll need to give up a few things but remember, it’s just for a few days.
Here are my nutrition suggestions to help blast off some baby boomer blubber:
- KEEP SODIUM INTAKE TO A MINIMUM: I want to be very clear about this because most people think that if they put down the salt shaker their salt intake is in control. Wrong. Almost all of the salt we ingest comes from processed foods and you would be surprised at the amount of salt contained in sweet products like cookies and cakes. Be diligent about reading every label to check the sodium level because salt makes you retain water and bloats your belly and who wants that? And be careful with your soy sauce too. Even low sodium soy is loaded with salt.
- CUT YOUR CARBS: You knew this one was coming. White grain products like pasta, bread and crackers give very little to your body except lots of belly bloat and hunger. They digest so quickly that you’re usually more hungry after you consume them. If you’re serious about trying this 2 week program, don’t replace the simple carbs with healthier grains including gluten free products because these healthy options can bloat you too. For these 2 weeks try to stay away from simple carbohydrates. Replace them with extra vegetables and lean protein. Use lettuce as a sandwich wrap or a portobello mushroom cap as a food holder. If you must have a carb have a small white or sweet potato.
- EAT REAL WHOLE FOOD: Now is the time to ban processed foods and eat only real food. There are so many healthy options in the stores today. Buy a package of hard boiled eggs and eat them instead of deli egg salad. Eat lots of lean proteins like eggs, fish, chicken and flank steak. Snack on raw nuts and seeds and if you have a problem with control, buy them in portion controlled bags. Fill up on fresh vegetables whether in a salad or as a side. Or do something new and make a cold vegetable soup in your blender. You can whip up an easy gazpacho soup with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, red peppers, fresh cilantro or parsley, garlic and hot sauce. Just leave out the oil and salt. You will not miss them. You can top the soup with some cooked shrimp or salmon for a complete easy, delicious, low calorie meal.
- DON’T SMOTHER: Stay away from all sauces. Regardless of what you think they all have fat, salt and sugar. Use dry spices and fresh herbs when you cook and stay away from liquid seasonings and marinades.
- SACRIFICE SOMETHING: Okay, all of us cheat and I’m certain we all will a little during this 2 week program. So consciously cut out something that you eat all the time that you know you shouldn’t. I’m raising my hand to say I am going to cut out the handful of gluten free crackers I have every night on my way to bed. What are you willing to give up?
- TAKE HOME A DOGGIE BAG: Whether you’re eating in a restaurant or at home, remove half of the food on your plate and wrap it up. If you need to eat it later because you’re starving then do so but when you split your meals like this you ingest fewer calories and stretch your food intake over a longer period of time.
- NO ALCOHOL: Period. If you’re serious about looking good, put down that wine glass!
- STAY HYDRATED: It’s important to drink extra water to help you feel full and flush away the fat you’re burning. My post HYDRATE IN STYLE WITH MY FAVORITE FLAVORED WATERS has great recipes for tasty options.
- DELICIOUS DOES NOT NEED TO BE FATTENING: Try some of my yummy low calorie treats. They are super flavorful and none of them will put weight on you! HOW TO SNACK LIKE A PRO and all my FEED ME posts and videos are simple to make, delicious and good for you!
- HERE’S THE GOOD NEWS: I want you to eat. I want you to eat lots of lean protein like eggs, turkey, chicken and fish. They should be prepared without salt, grease or sugar. Play around with spices. Grill a chicken breast on your stove top and add some cherry tomatoes along the sides during the last few minutes of cooking. Add some fresh basil and black pepper or salt free spice blends and enjoy! Eat lots of salads (try with a flavored vinegar and just a touch of olive oil) but make sure not to load your salad with fatty dressing, croutons and bacon bits (loaded with salt!). Try roasting almost any vegetable — unbelievably delicious. I use a non stick cooking spray on the pan and on the vegetables and put them in a hot oven until they are caramelized. As soon as they come out of the oven I dress them with lots of freshly ground black pepper and a tiny pinch of salt. Try asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini, and my favorite, cauliflower.
LET’S GET MOVING
In conjunction with a mean, clean eating routine you absolutely need to step up your exercise schedule. I’ve made it very simple for you. Here is the daily break down of what you need to do. All the body part routines are on the site. Make sure to do the exercises on each video 2 times in a session. In addition to doing the video routines you need to do 30 minutes of cardio (walking, bicycle, elliptical, treadmill) 4-5 times each week. If you cannot commit to 30 minutes do what you can but you can break that up into 2-15 minute cardio workouts if that works better for you. The more you do the better you will look and feel so it’s up to you! Remember, you are only committing for 2 weeks!
MONDAY: Legs & Butt, Squats, Chest and Back, Biceps, Abs Around the World
TUESDAY: Full Upper Body Workout, Improve Your Inner Thighs, Absolutely Fabulous Abs
WEDNESDAY: Over 50 Legs & Butt, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
THURSDAY: Full Upper Body Workout, Absolutely Fabulous Abs
FRIDAY: Squats, Push-ups, Triceps, Abs Around the World
SATURDAY: Over 50 Legs & Butt, Chest and Back, Shoulders, 5 Classic Ab Moves
HERE ARE THE LINKS TO THE EXERCISE VIDEOS:
Legs & Butt
Over 50 Legs & Butt
Improve Your Inner Thighs
Absolutely Fabulous Abs
Abs Around the World
5 Classic Ab Moves
Full Upper Body Workout
Chest and Back
A FINAL NOTE
Just like all things in life, what you put in is what you get out. If you really want to make the effort to improve how you look by Memorial Day, you need to do the work. What I have given you is a simple guide to follow but put your own spin on it. If you want to be even more aggressive with your diet and exercise that’s great. If you decide to give this a shot it’s important to be mindful to not look at this 2 week commitment as punishment but as a wonderful gift from you to you. And who deserves it more? For an overview of my nutrition and exercise philosophy please read my post 15 Food & Fitness Rules I Follow. I think it will be a great help in completing this 2 week challenge.