I could write a novel about the importance of women over fifty exercising. I would include all the scientific data, the success stories and so on. But instead of posting something you’ve read a million times before, I decided to write about what specifically motivates me to include exercise as part of my normal routine, like brushing my teeth. Engaging in a consistent workout program does so much more than just make me look good — but to be honest, it is the main reason.
Other than improving my appearance, here are the six main reasons I am committed to fitness:
- TREMENDOUS OVERALL FEELING OF WELL BEING: Even during my darkest and most stressful times I am able to keep on an even keel. I feel healthy and vibrant.
- RAZOR SHARP FOCUS: Regardless of how much might be going on in my life I find that I am always capable of honing in on a task and seeing it through to the end.
- I AM MORE POWERFUL: As we age I think we concentrate on what we can’t do anymore. Instead, I think of what I can do. Whether it’s resistance training or intense cardio, exercising strengthens my body and I like that when UPS delivers a heavy box to my front door I can lift it up myself and bring it inside!
- MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A WINNER: Keeping on top of a fitness routine is not easy. There are many days when I just don’t feel like exercising and to be honest, sometimes I don’t. But getting up and doing it gives me a tremendous sense of accomplishment as I know I’m doing something that most people don’t.
- GIVES ME A GREAT SENSE OF JOY: Working out makes me feel good and I think that feeling shows on my face. It’s not a coincidence that I have the same expression in both pictures, one taken at the gym and the other in my backyard. I am happy from inside and I know that I am the source of that happiness.
- IMPROVED HEALTH: No question about this — working out improves your health. I believe that, with some exception, what you see on the outside is what you see on the inside.