There’s no question that having a golden glow looks great on women over fifty. I’m going to explain how to apply self tanner the right way and how to make it last. Since the days of frying in the sun are over and getting a spray tan can be expensive, many women attempt to get their glow from self tanners. However, often times the results are disastrous. The two main reasons for this are not properly preparing the skin for self tanning and improper application of the product.
follow along with me...
PREPARING YOUR SKIN PRIOR TO APPLICATION
- Make sure you have enough time. Applying self tanner takes time so don’t do it when you’re very busy or in a rush.
- Shave or wax your body 24 hours prior to applying self tanner. Do not do either of these immediately prior to application as the product will either not be absorbed or will be absorbed unevenly.
- Exfoliate your skin. Exfoliation removes your dead skin cells and will make for a more even application. Use a loofah and make sure to use more pressure on areas of your body where the skin is thicker which include ankles, elbows, knees and heels of the feet.
- Moisturize after exfoliation. After you finish exfoliating, dry your skin thoroughly and apply moisturizer. Moisturizing your skin will prevent the drier areas of your body from absorbing too much tanner.
APPLYING THE SELF TANNER
- Choose the right shade. Many self tanners come in different shades and it’s important not to choose one that is too dark for your skin. If you have very fair skin using a dark shade can result in your skin looking orange.
- Use a mitt for application. A mitt will help you blend the product into your skin. It also helps to prevent your hands from absorbing too much product which will make them much darker than the rest of your body.
- Apply in sections. Often times women just rub the tanner all over hoping they reach every inch but you really need to be methodical. Using circular motions start with your arms and then your legs. Move on to your torso and if possible, enlist the help of a friend to get your back. For a more natural look extend the self tanner from your ankles to your feet and from your wrists to your hands.
- Go easy on the face. One of the biggest mistakes women make is that they slather the self tanner on their faces to give them a deep glow. Start with a small amount and make sure to apply all over the face being careful to go light on dry areas like the skin between your nose and upper lip. Feather the tanner at your hairline for a more natural look.
- After self tanner application. Self tanner can take six to eight hours to fully develop. After it’s been applied it’s best to wait 15 to 30 minutes to get dressed to avoid staining your clothes. Make sure to put on loose and baggy clothing to avoid rubbing the skin and causing the tanner to come off. It’s also important not to sweat or bathe for a full eight hours after application.
MAINTAINING YOUR TAN
- Use sunscreen. Make sure to apply sunscreen daily to keep your skin protected.
- Showering. Before you take a shower apply a light moisturizer or oil to prevent the self tanner from washing away. Use a gentle cleanser when you bathe.
- Moisturize. Keep your skin moisturized after you self tan and stay away from acne and other face or body serums as they will quickly strip the self tanner from your body.
Disclosure: I was not financially compensated in any way for writing this blog post.
For other great skin care tips I think you will enjoy this post:
Must Do’s for Middle-Aged Skin