There’s nothing better than some pampering after a workout. For so many women over fifty starting and staying with an exercise program can be difficult so why not give yourself a reward occasionally for a job well done. Unfortunately, most of the time we think our reward should be food and that’s a sure fire way to sabotage your gains.
Here are my six favorite treats after I’ve worked extra hard at the gym:
- Take a long, hot shower. When my muscles are aching after a tough workout nothing soothes them more than hot water pulsating on my tired body. If you don’t have a shower head that adjusts to a strong pulse I suggest getting one. They don’t cost much and will give you countless hours of relief. Taking a very hot shower is not good for the skin if you do it all the time so save it for those days when you really ache.
- Give yourself an in-home spa treatment. Spa services can be very expensive so why not treat yourself at home. There are many fabulous hair and skin treatments designed for home use that are very uplifting. My suggestions include a deep hair conditioner, a good full body exfoliation, or a soothing facial mask.
- Take a nap. I know it sounds so easy but we women never seem to do it. Sometimes when I get home from the gym and I’m wiped I like to put on some loose clothing, cover my eyes with cucumber slices, close the blinds, put a “Do Not Disturb” sign on my bedroom door, and just lie down for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Get a massage. I know these can be costly but when my body is screaming for some love I treat myself to a deep tissue massage. Think of it as therapeutic and a medical necessity if you are on the fence about spending the money.
- Get a manicure. Nothing perks me up faster than freshly painted nails. There are usually lots of local deals to be had either in your local paper or online.
- Buy your favorite magazine. I love magazines because they are easy to thumb through and don’t require a lot of attention. Why not flip through your favorite and flag some products or ideas for inspiration or purchase. It’s a quick and easy way to put yourself in dream mode.
Be creative! Do something extra special for you. It’s so important to remember that there are lots of ways to say “Thank you for a job well done” that don’t include stuffing your face with fries or ice cream. You made the effort to do the workout so please don’t blow the gains by force feeding yourself.
Here are 2 previous posts about pampering your skin that I think you will enjoy: