Halloween Happiness starts on October 1 for me. That’s when I begin my countdown to one of my favorite holidays of the year. The reason I love Halloween so much is . . . you guessed it — THE CANDY!!! There are three days of the year that I allow myself all the candy I want — my birthday, Valentine’s Day and Halloween!
As you know from my posts, I am extremely careful about what I eat so I do have a method to enjoying all the candy I want without packing on the pounds. There are a lot of different approaches so choose what works best for you.
follow along with me...
First I want to debunk the myth that if you spend all day shoving candy in your mouth you’ll gain five pounds. Absolutely not true. You may wake up weighing five pounds more but that is a lot of bloat from all the sugar. Remember that you need to consume 3500 calories to add one pound so at the most that’s all you’ll gain. Here is my lists of tricks to combat your treats:
1. Buy your candy late. This will accomplish two important things: first, you won’t have the candy hanging around for days or weeks calling your name; and second, chances are the pickings will be slim when you buy your candy late and your faves won’t be available.
2. Do a little pre-planning. This is one of my favorite go to tricks prior to any major event. Start immediately eliminating 100 calories a day. That is just a slice of bread, one pat of butter or a few crackers. If you did this for just a week you would have “banked” enough calories for ten of those mini treats. The sooner you start the better.
3. Out of sight, out of mind does work! After you buy the candy put it somewhere you never go — like near the vacuum cleaner.
4. Eat normally on Halloween. I used to starve myself and only eat candy. That was a huge mistake. I ended up gorging on candy and then stuffing my face with real food because I still felt hungry. Definitely keep your calories low but eat!
5. Do some cardio. Try hard to get in a good session of cardio on Halloween morning. Not only will you burn calories, you will also speed up your metabolism which will be a huge help when consuming all those treats.
6. Drink up. Make sure you drink a good amount of water to help fill you up. When your tummy is a little bloated from the water you won’t feel so eager to eat everything in sight.
7. Get rid of it. After the holiday donate all of your leftover candy. There are tons of places today that will take your extra candy. November 1 is no longer Halloween and the candy eating should stop!
8. HAVE FUN. IT’S HALLOWEEN!!! Even if you stuff your face from the moment you get up until the moment you fall asleep, enjoy! Once in awhile it’s okay to forget about weight control and indulge. It’s good for your soul!
Holidays like Halloween can actually help you meet your diet goals. Here’s how:
HOW TO USE HOLIDAYS TO MEET YOUR DIET GOALS