Many women over fifty are super busy and complain they don’t have time for a full workout so here are 7 sneaky ways to get exercise into your day. Waking up early to go to the gym first thing or taking a Pilates class right after work might sound good on paper, but actually keeping your exercise plans can be challenging.
If you feel like every day is a marathon don’t worry! These 7 sneaky tricks can be a great way to fit exercise into your day and help you meet your fitness goals.
follow along with me...
- Park the car far from the destination. Finding the closest parking spot to the door when out and about is something we all do. We try and get things done as quickly as possible and strive for convenience. Next time you go to the store think twice before finding the closest spot and try parking farther away. You can sneak in some walking while you’re out running errands.
- Make your bed. This chore is usually left on the backburner these days but making your bed can be a very productive activity. While you might be tired and groggy in the mornings, making the bed requires the use of many muscles and might actually put a pep in your step so give it a try.
- Always take the stairs. Never miss an opportunity to take the stairs. As long as you don’t have any knee problems this is a great way to sneak exercise in. Skip the escalator at the mall or office and take the stairs both up and down. This is a great leg and cardio workout.
- Squat and lunge while brushing your teeth. If you are a woman over fifty, you live and breathe the word “multitask.” When brushing your teeth squeeze in a few squats and stationary lunges. In the same amount of time it takes to brush your teeth you will have completed a mini leg workout. If only everything in life could be this easy.
- Lift weights at your desk and in the kitchen. If you work a 9-5 job and don’t get the opportunity to move around during the day you should find some small weights and keep them at your desk. You can do arm exercises while reading emails or whenever you have a free second. The same is true when you’re cooking. We all stand around waiting for something to boil or broil so why not pick up a couple of food cans or jars and do some bicep curls or tricep kickbacks? You’ll be surprised how much you can accomplish.
- Get moving during your lunch break. Lunch breaks are a good time to step away from your work and clear your mind. What better way to clear your head then to take a little walk down the street? Or to your favorite coffee shop? It doesn’t take long and does wonders for you both physically and mentally.
- Stand up when talking on the phone. Even if it’s not a long phone call you use more muscles standing than you do sitting. Stand up and walk around. You can do some calf raises or contract your abs. Talking on the phone is the perfect opportunity to get some activity in.
Trying to stay fit and toned when you’re a woman over fifty is not easy. It takes determination and dedication. If your life is chaotic and there is little to time for exercise, getting some movement scattered throughout your day may work well for you. Although nothing replaces a good workout, using these 7 sneaky ways to get exercise into your day will definitely start or keep you on track to a fitter, healthier you.
These posts have some of my favorite fitness tips:
HOW WOMEN OVER 50 CAN LEARN TO EMBRACE MORNING WORKOUTS
5 FITNESS TIPS FOR FAST RESULTS
10 MINUTE TOTAL BODY TONER FOR WOMEN OVER FIFTY
5 FAB FITNESS TIPS TO JUMP START YOUR OVER 50 BODY